The Block Arcade is one of the finest examples of a 19th Century shopping arcade. It is renowned for its impressive etched glass roof with decorative wrought iron and timber supports and has the largest mosaic floor area in Australia. The complex is classified by the National Trust and is on the register of the National Estate.
Designed by architect D.C. Askew for the financier Benjamin Fink, the arcade was constructed in two sections in 1891 and 1893. It derived its name from the tradition of “doing the block”, or parading around Melbourne’s fashionable shopping streets.