Melbourne boasts a wide variety of both light and serious entertainment to suit all tastes from unique bars to bowling alleys. The city is renowned for the diversity and depth of its art and culture, great sporting traditions, major festivals and international events. (See the events section) Ballet, Symphony & Opera Melbourne is home to the internationally acclaimed Australian Ballet as well as the country’s major opera company, Opera Australia, with the State Orchestra of Victoria the musical force behind them both. Along with the Ballet and Opera the Arts Centre is also home to the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra who are renown for their diversity in style, performing both classical masterpieces as well as a more contemporary style of music.
The Arts Centre is host to many other nationally and internationally acclaimed performances. Arts Centre, Ph: 9281 8000
COMEDY & THEATRE
Melbourne is a HOT SPOT for comedy. This is evident with it hosting one of the worlds three largest comedy festivals. The Melbourne Comedy Festival, where comedians, both local and international meet and make Melbourne laugh for three weeks. Melbourne’s spectacular theatre venues are the perfect place for local and internationally acclaimed stage shows to come and perform for enthusiastic Melburnians.
Listed here are the details of Melbourne’s major theaters:
- Comedy Theater: 9299 4950
- National Theater 9534 0221
- Forum Theater 9299 9700
- Princess Theater 9299 9800
- Regent Theater 9299 9500
- Atheneom Theater 9650 1500
If you want to dance the night away then experience Melbourne’s exciting nightlife. Dress codes vary from club to club, but generally it is at the discrestion of the doorman. At most clubs, there is a cover charge of between $5.00 to $15.00. Here is a list of nightclubs you might want to try :
- Chill On 9663 3877
- Metro 9663 4288
- Heist 9863 7488
- Zealous 9670 0980
- Inflation 9614 6122
RESTAURANTS & BARS
Melbourne has a restaurant and bar to suite everyone, many are traditional style but we have found one a little different. A recent relocation has put Chill On Ice Lounge & Ski Lodge righton the river’s edge at Southbank. This unique concept allows guest to be surrounded by more than 50 tonnes of carved ice and chilled to sub zero temperatures. The bar, chairs, table and even the glasses are made of ice. Chill On will provide the snow gear to keep you warm and casual dining and drinks are available in the Ski Lodge post or prior to your ice experience.
- Atrium Bar – SOUTHBANK A stylish place to meet friends, sip a cocktail and enjoy live music every evening.
- Baroq House – MELBOURNE A luxurious three level mansion in a leafy cobbled city street.
- BCM Bar & Balcony – DOCKLANDS Perfect for a lazy afternoon for coffee, drinks and pre or post dinner drinks
- Bella Union – CARLTON A performance space and a casual bar, hosting music gigs, theatrical performances, comedy
- Bennetts Lane Jazz Club – MELBOURNE The Bennetts Lane Jazz Club is a music venue, located off Little Lonsdale Street.
- Billboard Nightclub – MELBOURNE Providing live music to two generations of Melburnians
- Chaise Lounge – MELBOURNE Chaise Lounge is known for being one of Melbourne’s longest standing cocktail hot-spots.
- Chaplin Karaoke Bar – MELBOURNE Chaplin Karaoke & Bar is a modern, stylish venue on Little Bourke Street.
- Charltons Entertainment Complex – MELBOURNE Tucked away at the end of a laneway, and up on the second floor, Charlton’s pool hall and karaoke is sure to entertain.